I have so many peppers; Poblano peppers and Bell peppers. All freshly plucked from Stephanie’s kitchen garden. When she asked me if I wanted three dozen peppers, I wasn’t sure what I would do with them. Then I thought of my dinner and I knew I could use them for my next dinner at the Creperie. Yes! Peppers stuffed with flavored potatoes. Just like my mom made them!
My mom would slice the top of the bell pepper and fill them with the spiced potato filing and sew back the top on with thread and needle. Then slowly roast them in oil for about an hour or so. It was one of my favorite dish to have. I like to slice the peppers vertically into four and fill them with the potatoes, and then bake them in the oven, it is easier and quicker..
The Poblano peppers have an intense spicy flavor, we ended up eating them all. The peppers were so fresh that when I sliced them there was about a spoon of water inside them… I could feel the freshness and the love with which they were grown by Stephanie with no chemicals whatsoever…Thank You Stephanie!
Here is the recipe
6 Bell Peppers
6 Med sized Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 t turmeric powder
1 T Coriander powder
1/4 – 1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
2 t Cumin Powder
1/2 t Amchur ( dry mango powder) or 1 T lemon juice
- Cut the peppers in half
- Wash & Steam them for 3 -4 mins in a steamer or 2 mins in a pressure cooker
- Boil the potatoes
- Mash them & add all the spices …also salt to taste
- Spread 1 Tbsp of oil on a baking sheet
- Place the steamed peppers on the baking sheet
- Fill the potatoes into the peppers
- Bake them at 350 degree F until the peppers & potatoes get crisp & the peppers shrivel.. for 20 to 30 minutes…
- Enjoy them as a side dish or a main dish with Pita bread or Naan