I usually roast beets to make a salad or soup. Roasted beets with roasted walnut and goat cheese, seasoned with honey, balsamic vinegar and pepper for salad. As for Borsht Soup, how can it be made without beets? I pressure cook Celery, onion, garlic, potato and tomatoes along with roasted beets. It is ready in about 15 minutes. Then, all that is needed to enjoy it is a dollop of sour cream and and some freshly ground pepper
But this fall, I have been making a lot of beet ~ paronte (flat bread) ….
As for making the beet dough: Boiled beets, onions, jalapeno, spices, flour & Oil, I like to keep the dough as moist as possible
Roll out the smooth rounds of flour into circles, apply oil and layer it into a square shaped flat bread, roll and cook on a hot griddle…
We had them with some blue squash soup today, but you can have it butter, yoghurt, applesauce or spiced potatoes. Well! just about anything….
RECIPE Makes about 6 - 8 Paronte (flat breads) 2 Cups of boiled mushy beets, 1/2 cup of chopped onions 2-3 chopped Jalapeno or Serrano peppers 2 -3 cups of whole wheat flour or gluten free flour 2t cumin/garam masala 2t salt
- Mash the beets to make a smooth paste
- Add chopped onions and peppers
- Then add spices to the beet mush
- Add whole wheat flour little bit at a time
- Mix well
- You can pound the dough with your knuckles until soft and smooth
- Add a little bit of oil ( 1 – 2 tbsp) if needed to make the dough smooth
- Take a handful of dough and roll it in white flour to make it smooth
- Roll it out into a disk with a rolling pin about 4 – 6 inches in diameter
- Smear it with a little bit of oil
- Fold from all sides to make it a square
- Add more flour
- And roll out the dough softly
- Till it is about 8 – 10 inches square ( well almost)
- Cook on the hot griddle at 450 degree F
- For about 2 -3 mins on each sides
- Brush with a pastry brush dipped in oil
- Enjoy with soup/yoghurt/ butter & pickle or apple sauce
- Maybe a cup of hot chai!!!!!
But Beet greens?
When they are tender, they are so flavorful.. so I have been using them in smoothies, stir fry and flat bread
3 thoughts on “Beet ~ Flat Bread (Paronte)”
Would love to try this Ish, love the colour!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Preeti! The color is lovely….