I made this soup for the Indian dinner at the Creperie tonight, it was flavorful, sweet, salty, and creamy with just a touch of ginger and cayenne pepper. And happens to be Vegan too! No wonder it was a hit at the dinner.
Chicken Vindaloo was another favorite too, I will write about it another time. As for the Sweet Potato – Daal Soup ~ Chop all the veggies and wash/rinse the daal……
Boil or Bake the Sweet potatoes first, peel them
Saute onions, add ginger, add cayenne pepper, carrots, daal and about 8 cups of water and cook until daal and carrots are soft and mushy. Puree them in a blender
At the very end at Peanut butter and it is ready to serve with a tiny sprig of cilantro..
2 cups chopped onion
2 Tbsp Avocado oil
2 roughly chopped sweet potatoes
1 1/2 Cup Masoor daal ( pink lentils)
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp tumeric
10 cups of water
1/2 cup Peanut butter
- Saute onions in oil for about 5 – 6 minute in a stock pot or pressure cooker
- Add all the remaining ingredients except peanut butter in a stock pot or pressure cooker
- Boil for about 15 minutes in pressure cooker or abour hour in the stock pot till the sweet potatoes are soft and mushy and the daal is cooked
- Add the baked/boiled sweet potatoes
- Blend them in a blender
- Add Peanut butter and mix well, add some salt and about 2 -3 Tbsp of palm sugar if the sweet potato is not too sweet..
- You can cook everything together in one pot, if you peel the sweet potatoes, but I find that too cumbersome and prefer boiling them or baking them with their skins on and peeling them later. I bake them for 45 minutes at 375 F.